- 6 organic apples (Macintosh, Delicious, Pink Lady, Gala)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or maple agave)
- 2 teaspoons tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1 cup Ancient Harvest quinoa flakes
- ¾ cup sorghum, brown rice, or coconut flour
- 1 cup organic light brown or coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup organic coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8“x11” baking dish with vegan buttery spread (or coconut oil). Set aside. Peel and core the apples. Slice them evenly and toss into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss to coat. Add the maple syrup and stir. Dust with tapioca starch and stir again to coat the apple slices. Pour the slices into the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the quinoa flakes, flour of choice, sugar of choice, cinnamon, ginger, and sea salt and whisk to blend thoroughly. Add the coconut oil in pieces and using a whisk or a pastry cutter, cut the coconut oil into the flour blend until you have an even, sandy mixture. Spoon the mixture all over the top.
- Bake in the center of a pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes. Cover the top loosely with a piece of foil and continue to bake for another 20 minutes or so (depends upon the size/type of apples), until the apples are fork tender and the sides of the crisp are bubbling. (The foil will help keep the topping from browning too much). Allow the crisp to cool for 10 minutes before serving warm.
- Enjoy this delicious gluten-free desert hot or cold!