By Nicole Cerillo, RD, LDN
Integrative Medicine Nutritionist
With the new year quickly approaching, a common goal and resolution for many people is to commit to starting a new diet program or exercise routine. In fact, studies show that the #1 New Year’s resolution in America is to lose weight. While these resolutions are great ways to improve your heath, it can be very difficult to stick to this daunting commitment. According to a new University of Scranton study in the Journal of Clinical Psychology, only a mere 8% of people are actually successful in following through with their resolutions. In fact, most people quit completely by Valentine’s Day -- which means after 6 weeks most people will give up or lose their momentum.
Instead of going for the gold and reaching for the stars next year, I want to encourage you to try something a little different to set yourself up for the win after the holidays! I want YOU to beat the statistics and be one of the 8% that actually follows through.
What if I told you all you have to do is just commit to 21 days of clean eating?
I believe that if you can commit to something and make a change for 21 days, you have developed new habits that will be easier for you to stick to and maintain long term. Maybe you won’t want to continue everything 100% after the 3 weeks, but many of those habits you developed during that time will carry over naturally. In 21 days you can reset your body to work its best using natural and whole foods. You will learn a lot about yourself, your diet habits, and the way your body processes and uses food. You will change the way you think about the quality of your food and you will WANT to make healthier choice for the long-term because it is sustainable. It will become a lifestyle—not just another fad diet that you quit before Valentine’s Day.
Here are 12 benefits you may experience starting a 21 day clean diet and lifestyle:
1. It will introduce you to new foods, flavors, and nutrients you aren’t used to enjoying
2. You will generally feel better, build up your immune system, and won’t get sick as often
3. You may recognize a possible food intolerance or sensitivity and improve symptoms
4. You can boost your metabolism and your energy will increase
5. Your brain and mind will be clear and sharp and you will feel more focused and alert throughout the day
6. Your sleep will improve
7. You can see a decrease in anxiety and depression
8. Your mood will improve and hormones will balance
9. Cholesterol, blood sugar, and lipid profiles may improve
10. You can maintain a healthy weight or even lose weight
11. You can rid your body of toxic buildup that can be a root cause in so many diseases and conditions
12. Your beauty will shine! Your hair and nails will grow strong and your complexion and skin will clear up and glow
Stay tuned for my next blog post in January with more details about how to start a clean eating protocol for you and your family next year.
Interested in this post and committing yourself to clean eating? Don’t do it alone and don’t wait! Grab your best friend, make an appointment, and get the motivation and coaching you need to get ahead and succeed next year! YOU are worth it and your body (and mind) will thank you!
Source for study: University of Scranton. Journal of Clinical Psychology