Wednesday, December 21, 2016

A Patient Perspective

By Christina Lebron
System Analyst, Hackensack Meridian Health
Patient, Meridian Integrative Health & Medicine

As a Systems Analyst for Hackensack Meridian Health, the first time I walked through the doors of Meridian Integrative Health & Medicine, I had the privilege of implementing their practice on Electronic Medical Records (EMR).  The EMR was such an important part of their success because it was taking all the ways they care for their patients and translating that into a system that would electronically do what the paper chart does.
 
Throughout the next couple of weeks I was able to learn and gather information from each of the staff to help them be successful for their grand opening in July. Although this started as a just another project at work I soon realized the genuine dedication for the overall care of their patients’ health. “There was something different about this place”, I said.

At the time, my son was going through a very difficult time nutritionally and we couldn’t figure out why he was getting so sick. The staff at Meridian Integrative Health & Medicine took the time to speak to me about ways I could begin to implement change in our eating habits, eliminating certain foods and changing our lifestyle as a whole. I was so touched that I decided to become a patient myself.

From the moment you walk in the door, you get a real sense of how your visit will be. Emma Stafford, the Nurse Practitioner, was so thorough in getting to the bottom of the issues I was dealing with in my health and spent time making sure she didn’t miss a beat. Her concern for me was touching and warm in so many ways. Suzannah Sabin, the Health Coach, was such an important part of my journey because I was able to tap into some of the underlying issues that I didn’t know were affecting me. We set goals which I can say helped me take a big step in the right direction. I discovered a lot about myself during our sessions. I then journeyed on to meet with Nicole Cerillo, the Nutritionist. Nicole has a special calling for what she does as she recognizes that eating habits and nutrition isn’t just about the food but rather the overall well-being of the person both physically and spiritually. In fact, Meridian Integrative Health & Medicine is committed to focusing on 5 pillars: Nutrition, Purpose, Resilience, Sleep and Activity. The entire staff implements this care model to every patient they see. I can certainly say they all left a big imprint on me.

It was an honor to work with Lori Knutson, the Administrative Director, and the entire staff. They are truly dedicated and passionate clinicians. I always make sure I refer all my friends and family so they too can experience the life-changing care model that I believe is the future. I am still on my journey to becoming the best me I can be, but you can bet I will make sure Meridian Integrative Health & Medicine will a part of that journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment