Within the first 60 seconds of us encountering a negative emotion, our reaction to it will either determine whether we are going to handle it positively or negatively. Research shows that chronic negative thinking that goes on day-after-day creates stress that can damage the body and mind, resulting in disease. The good news is we have the power to change our thoughts and impact our health.
Try these 5 simple steps to release toxic emotions:
- Notice when you are having a negative thought.
- Ask yourself if this thought is serving your higher good.
- If the thought is moving you away from who you want to be and how you want to live, then let the thought go.
- Acknowledge that a thought is just a thought and you have the power to change your thoughts.
- Take time to breathe…breathe in compassion and breathe out the negative thought you want to release. Take another deep breath. Now, notice how you feel.